Monday, February 3, 2014

Madeira Islands: Week 38

With the Adriano's
With Raquel
Baptism board in Miratejo!
Last area saying goodbye to Fatima
With the Mendes family!
 
With my companion Sis. Lofgreen
Margarida and her mom Ligia
View from our Chapel
I made a play dough version of me and my roommates…hahaha

Hey! 

How was the week? Sounds like the Superbowl wasn't too great but hopefully it was still fun :) Raymond I hope you had a happy birthday yesterday and that Ellie let you sleep a little! (She's really cute p.s.)
THis week was AWESOME! Seriously it was. I will save the best for last I guess. Firstly, I think I told you last week my roommates name is Sister Carvalo but... it's Cardoso. My bad. Anyway you all asked about the weather. I don't know where you've been hearing about all the rain, but really it's not too bad. It sprinkles a little here and there but honestly a lot of the time I walk around without a jacket and with sandals on and I don't get too cold! Haha it's still not quite Summer weather but I love it. Also, our house is really really ridiculously good looking. Remember how every time I move I say I feel spoiled? Yeah it happened again. It's like a hotel. We have 2 showers. That's a big deal.

So really weird question but first guess what I like shrimp now. Don't freak out. But we were eating it for lunch the other day and there is like a line of brown stuff and my companion told me it's shrimp poop so I just wanted to ask if that's true. If it is I unlike shrimp again. I don't want to eat poop.

Funny thing happened the other day. Sister Hirschi and I were running in the morning and there was a dog on the sidewalk. It wasn't like a tiny dog but it's not big and scary either so I just ran right by it and said, "Hi doggy!" Yeah then it bit me. Hahaha it scared the crap out of me. It didn't hurt at all but the people around all started laughing. I guess it has to happen at least once to every missionary right?

Okay now for the cool parts. Firstly, remember Mayara that we were teaching in Miratejo? (One of the cousin/sisters) She got baptized! It was the week that I left there but obviously I hear about everything with a delay. I still haven't gotten the pictures but I will forward them when I do. I am SO excited. 

Also, this weekend Margarida and Lara are getting baptized!!! I will tell you what happened. 

We had a lesson with Margarida (our investigator whose mom is inactive.) Last time we had taught her with her mom and she said she felt like it was early and she needed more time, which made Margarida feel like she should wait to respect her mom's opinion. We asked Margarida how she felt about baptism and she felt like she should wait until she didn't feel so alone and had more support. So we had a member come to teach with us and she asked Margarida's mom how she was feeling now about it all. She started crying and said that right before our appointment she was waiting in the car for Margarida. She opened up her Book of Mormon to a random part that talked about keeping the commandments and then flipped to another part that talked about baptism. She said she felt the spirit and that it was a sign to her that Margarida is ready for baptism and that she supports her now. Margarida felt at peace and said she wants to be baptized this Saturday! I have never taught anyone like them. They are SO prepared seriously.

Another amazing thing is our other investigator, Lara, was having a hard time deciding if the church was true or not. She's only 9 years old and her mom is a member who just got reactive in the church but her dad is a Muslim and she goes to Catholic school. She prayed and asked Heavenly Father which church was true and said she felt like the Church of Jesus Christ was the correct church. We talked to the dad which was really scary because we didn't know how he would feel about it. We did a lot of praying and when we talked to him he said it was okay! We marked her to also be baptized this Saturday. She had a dream that night about her baptism and said she felt really good about it. She is a really smart nine year old. After everything we teach her we review it to make sure she understood and remembers it and she can recite it back to us no problem! Yesterday she bore her testimony in sacrament meeting with another little girl it was so cute! I can't wait for this weekend! 

We have a LOT of investigators with so much potential but I don't have time to tell you about all of them today! We have Catia who is dating a member and will be baptized probably next weekend. Then we have a couple Iozebio and Leticia who want to be baptized really badly they just need to quit smoking. This area is AWESOME!

Anyway, today we are going to a really pretty garden. I don't really have pictures of anything on the island yet but I will have LOTS next week I'm sorry. Tomorrow I have my interview with President Fluckiger and house cleaning checks with Sister Fluckiger ahh! Haha hope everyone has a great week and I will talk to you next week! :) Love you

Sister Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment